
The White House was placed under lockdown on Saturday after a deranged gunman opened fire near the North Lawn.
The man fired shots around 6 p.m. EST at a security booth that had U.S. Secret Service officers inside. The agents returned fire and wounded the man, who later died in the hospital. No officers were injured.
Another person, a bystander, was reportedly seriously wounded. Between 10 and 20 shots were reportedly fired.
President Donald Trump was in the White House at the time but was “not impacted,” according to the Secret Service.
The suspected shooter approached the security checkpoint, pulled a gun out of a bag, and opened fire on the Secret Service officers, the agency said.
ABC White House correspondent Selina Wang posted a video in which the gunshots can be heard.
I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now. pic.twitter.com/iqdQwh4soq
— Selina Wang (@selinawangtv) May 23, 2026
The suspect has been identified as Nasire Best, 21, who was known to have mental issues and was involuntary committed last year after obstructing traffic.
Best had a run-in with the Secret Service in July 2025, when he was arrested for attempting to gain entry to the White House, CBS News reported.
“FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able,” FBI Director Kash Patel wrote on X.
FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able
— FBI Director Kash Patel (@FBIDirectorKash) May 23, 2026
The lockdown was later lifted at around 6:45 p.m.
House Speaker Mike Johnson responded to the shooting, posting on X, “”We are grateful for our brave Secret Service agents who took quick, decisive action to protect President Trump, and our prayers are with the victims of tonight’s senseless shooting for a speedy recovery.”
The incident is one of several attacks on the Trump administration and other Republican and conservative leaders in recent months. Four weeks ago, a gunman seeking to murder Trump officials opened fire at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner.
